The Requirement G5
Requirement: Bathrooms G5 A bathroom must be provided containing a wash basin and either a fixed bath or a shower. Limits on Application Requirement G5 applies only to dwellings and to buildings containing one or more rooms for residential purposes.
Performance In the Secretary of State’s view Requirement G5 will be met if a bathroom is provided containing a ﬁxed bath or shower, and a washbasin. General 5.1 The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 (SI 1999/1148) make provisions for appropriate backflow protection on taps including mixer fittings and hose connections. 5.2 Requirements for ventilation are in Part F of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 2010 (Ventilation). Guidance on ventilation of sanitary accommodation is given in Approved Document F. 5.3 Requirements for electrical safety are given in Part P of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 2010 (Electrical safety). Guidance is given in Approved Document P. 5.4 Guidance on the selection, installation and maintenance of sanitary appliances may be found in BS 6465-3:2006 Sanitary installations. Code of practice for the selection, installation and maintenance of sanitary and associated appliances. 5.5 Where hot and cold taps are provided on a sanitary appliance, the hot tap should be on the left.
Scale of provision and layout in dwellings
5.6 Any dwelling (house or flat) must have at least one bathroom with a fixed bath or shower, and a washbasin. 5.7 Guidance on the provision of activity space around sanitary appliances is given in BS 6465-2:1996 Sanitary installations. Code of practice for space requirements for sanitary appliances.
Scale of provision and layout in buildings with rooms for residential purposes
5.8 The number of fixed baths or showers and washbasins in buildings with rooms for residential purposes should be in accordance with BS 6465-1:2006 and A1:2009 Sanitary installations. Code of practice for the design of sanitary facilities and scales of provision of sanitary and associated appliances.
Discharges to drains
Note: See Approved Document for Requirement H1 Sanitary pipework and drainage for guidance on provision for traps, branch discharge pipes, discharge stacks and foul drains. 5.9 Any sanitary appliance used for personal washing should discharge through a grating, a trap and a branch discharge pipe to an adequate system of drainage. 5.10 A sanitary appliance used for personal washing fitted with a macerator and pump may be connected to a small bore drainage system discharging to a discharge stack if:
a. there is also access to washing facilities discharging directly to a gravity system; and
b. the macerator and pump meets the requirements of BS EN 12050-2:2001 Wastewater lifting plants for buildings and sites. Principles of construction and testing. Lifting plants for faecal-free wastewater.
- Table 2.1 Maximum fittings consumption
- Table 2.2 Maximum fittings consumption optional requirement level
- Table 3.1 Sizing of copper discharge pipe 'D2' for common temperature relief valve outlet sizes
- Table A1 The water efficiency calculator
- Table A2.1 Consumption calculator for multiple taps
- Table A2.2 Consumption calculator for multiple baths
- Table A2.3 Consumption calculator for multiple taps
- Table A2.4 Consumption calculator for multiple dishwashers
- Table A2.5 Consumption calculator for multiple washing machines
- Table A2.6 Consumption calculator for multiple showers
- Table A2.7 Consumption calculator for multiple WCs
- Table A3 Water softener consumption calculation
- Table A4.1 Greywater demand calculations - WCs
- Table A4.2 Greywater demand calculations - washing machines
- Table A4.3 Greywater collection calculations - taps
- Table A4.4 Greywater collection calculations - showers
- Table A4.5 Greywater collection calculations - baths
- Table A4.6 Greywater collection calculation
- Table A5.1 Rainwater collection calculation - BS 8515 intermediate approach
- Table A5.2 Rainwater collection calculation - BS 8515 detailed approach
- Table A5.3 Rainwater demand calculations - WCs
- Table A5.4 Rainwater demand calculations - washing machines
- Table A5.5 Rainwater saving calculations for new dwellings