How to use this Approved Document
In this document the following conventions have been adopted to assist understanding and interpretation: a. Texts shown under 'The Requirements' are extracts from the Building Regulations or Building (Approved Inspectors ) Regulations, and set out the legal requirements that relate to compliance with the sanitation, hot water safety and water efﬁciency requirements of Building Regulations. It should be remembered however that, as noted above, building works must comply with all the other applicable provisions of Building Regulations. b. Key terms are deﬁned below and are printed in bold italic text. c. Details of technical publications referred to in the text of this document are repeated as references in Appendix C. A reference to a publication is likely to be made for one of two main The publication may contain additional or more comprehensive technical detail, which it would be impractical to include in full in this Document but which is needed to fully explain ways of meeting the requirements; or it is a source of more general information. The reason for the reference will be indicated in each case. The reference will be to a speciﬁed edition of the document. The Approved Document may be amended from time to time to include new references or to refer to revised editions where this aids compliance.
Where you can get further help
If you do not understand the technical guidance or other information set out in this Approved Document and the additional detailed technical references to which it directs you, there are a number of routes through which you can seek further assistance:
- The Government website: www.gov.uk
- If you are the person undertaking the building work you can seek assistance either from your local authority building control service or from your approved inspector (depending on which building control service you are using, or intend to use, to certify compliance of your work with the requirements of the Building Regulations).
- Businesses registered with a competent person self-certiﬁcation scheme may be able to get technical advice from their scheme operator.
- If your query is of a highly technical nature you may wish to seek the advice of a specialist, or industry technical body, in the area of concern.
Responsibility for compliance
It is important to remember that if you are the person (e.g. designer, builder, installer) carrying out building work to which any requirement of Building Regulations applies you have a responsibility to ensure that the work complies with any such requirement. The building owner may also have a responsibility for ensuring compliance with Building Regulation requirements and could be served with an enforcement notice in cases of non-compliance.
- Table 2.1 Maximum fittings consumption
- Table 2.2 Maximum fittings consumption optional requirement level
- Table 3.1 Sizing of copper discharge pipe 'D2' for common temperature relief valve outlet sizes
- Table A1 The water efficiency calculator
- Table A2.1 Consumption calculator for multiple taps
- Table A2.2 Consumption calculator for multiple baths
- Table A2.3 Consumption calculator for multiple taps
- Table A2.4 Consumption calculator for multiple dishwashers
- Table A2.5 Consumption calculator for multiple washing machines
- Table A2.6 Consumption calculator for multiple showers
- Table A2.7 Consumption calculator for multiple WCs
- Table A3 Water softener consumption calculation
- Table A4.1 Greywater demand calculations - WCs
- Table A4.2 Greywater demand calculations - washing machines
- Table A4.3 Greywater collection calculations - taps
- Table A4.4 Greywater collection calculations - showers
- Table A4.5 Greywater collection calculations - baths
- Table A4.6 Greywater collection calculation
- Table A5.1 Rainwater collection calculation - BS 8515 intermediate approach
- Table A5.2 Rainwater collection calculation - BS 8515 detailed approach
- Table A5.3 Rainwater demand calculations - WCs
- Table A5.4 Rainwater demand calculations - washing machines
- Table A5.5 Rainwater saving calculations for new dwellings