MAIN CHANGES IN THE 2015 EDITION
This volume of this approved document supports requirements M1, M2 and M3 of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 2010. It takes effect on 1 October 2015 for use in England*. The 2004 edition of Approved Document M with 2010 and 2013 amendments will continue to apply to work started before 1 October 2015
or work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date.
The main changes are:
• Approved Document M has been split into two parts:
– Volume 1: Dwellings
– Volume 2: Buildings other than dwellings.
• The following sections of the previous version of Approved Document M have been deleted and replaced by Volume 1 of this approved document:
– Section 6: Means of access to and into the dwelling
– Section 7: Circulation within the entrance storey of the dwelling
– Section 8: Accessible switches and sockets in the dwelling
– Section 9: Passenger lifts and common stairs in blocks of flats
– Section 10: WC provision in the entrance storey of the dwelling.