This volume of this approved document supports requirements M4(1), M4(2) and M4(3) of Schedule 1 to the Building Regulations 2010. It takes effect on 1 October 2015 for use in England*. The 2004 edition of Approved Document M with 2010 and 2013 amendments will continue to apply to work started before 1 October 2015 or work subject to a building notice, full plans application or initial notice submitted before that date.
*This approved document gives guidance for compliance with the Building Regulations for building work carried out in It also applies to building work carried out on excepted energy buildings in Wales as defined in the Welsh Ministers (Transfer of Functions) (No.2) Order 2009.
The main changes are:
- Approved Document M has been split into two parts:
- Volume 1: Dwellings
- Volume 2: Buildings other than
- Requirement M4 ‘Sanitary conveniences in dwellings’ has been replaced by new requirements:
- M4(1) Category 1: Visitable dwellings
- M4(2) Category 2: Accessible and adaptable dwellings
- M4(3) Category 3: Wheelchair user
Regulation M4(1) is mandatory for all new dwellings unless one of the optional requirements M4(2) or M4(3) applies.
Main changes made by the 2016 amendments
The changes are corrections and clarifications, as set out in the 2016 AD M Volume 1 Corrigenda.